Skip to main content

Bruschetta

I don't know if you know this, but I love to cook. Like, love to the point where I'm not allowed in the kitchen during exam season because it's too distracting. I suspect that it's got something to do with the fact that I love to eat, and if you want to eat food that you like, it tends to help if you know how to make it.

The real challenge with cooking isn't really the actual cooking - that's the easy part. No, the hard part is finding something to cook. The problem is that I have a device with internet access, and that means I have access to a virtually infinite recipe pool with recipes of widely varying quality. My solution to all this is to find people - YouTube chefs, Taste.com writers - whose recipes tend to turn out well. Of all the recipes I've pulled off the internet, though, my favourite has to be this one seriously excessive bruschetta recipe from Gennaro Contaldo.

Generic bruschetta for copyright reasons


The recipe is from a video on YouTube, and unfortunately, the actual measures that are used in the video aren't available. There isn't even a text recipe. Naturally, this annoyed me no end, so I sat down with the video and a notes app and transcribed the recipe, eyeballing the amounts when they weren't mentioned. I don't know if it's as good as the original, but here's the way I do it:

Ingredients:

6 slices of sourdough/baguette
12 large basil leaves
1 clove garlic

Roast tomatoes:

200g cherry tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 chilli, sliced thinly
10-12 leaves fresh oregano, finely diced
1tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
1/4tsp pepper

Cheese mixture:

25g ricotta
60g fresh buffalo mozzarella
1tbsp buffala liquid
1/8tsp pepper

Sun-dried tomato paste:

75g sun-dried tomatoes
pinch of salt
1/8tsp pepper
1/2 tbsp vinegar
2tbsp olive oil

Method:

Cheese mixture: 

1. Cream the buffalo mozzarella and the buffala liquid into a paste.
2. Add the ricotta, and pepper. Mix again.

Roast tomatoes:

1. Take the stems off the cherry tomatoes and spread them evenly on a baking tray.
2. Add the garlic, oregano, chilli, salt and pepper to the tomatoes.
3. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, then put them in an oven at 220C for 5-8 minutes - long enough that the tomatoes become black in places.

Sun-dried tomato paste:

1. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until you get a smooth paste

Building the bruschetta:

1. Toast the bread slices on a griddle pan, then rub them with a clove of garlic.
2. Drizzle olive oil on the bread.  Spread a teaspoon of sun-dried tomato paste on, then the cheese mixture. Place a couple of basil leaves on top, then the roasted tomatoes.

I know,  it seems more than a little excessive. Three types of cheese? Cherry tomatoes? Definitely not worth the effort, right? The funny thing, though, is that it is. For the hour and a half of work this takes to make, you get the most divine bruschetta you'll ever eat. The cherry tomatoes are almost sweet, and the chilli and basil absolutely make it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go convince Mom to let me make dinner...

P.S. For anyone that's interested, here's the original video: https://youtu.be/a0C7E6xE-0o

Comments

  1. Your articles are very useful.I get good feelings everytime I read your posts.I have a liking for your posts. Please, upload more and more posts.
    Kick The Buddy kid games game Def Island online game Real Flight Simulator

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exam Fever

As anyone currently in the twelfth will tell you, with varying levels of dismay, the final exams are right around the corner. Parents everywhere are seizing their children's phones and taking time off from work. Panicked screaming ensues at intervals. I don't believe there's a person on the planet who genuinely enjoys exam season. Actually, I take that back - there's no one in India  who enjoys exam season. Partially, I think this is our own fault. Exams are the most important things in an Indian student's life, so parents seem bent on bottling up all the worry and concern they have about their kid's education and allowing it to spew forth in a torrent of "No more video games!" and "Delete WhatsApp!" commands during the two months surrounding the exams. Small wonder, then, that at 17, I believe the purpose of exams is to seasonally blot the sunshine from otherwise happy lives. This whole exam fever thing does have some upsides. Okay,

The Game

I've a bit of a confession to make: I still play Minecraft off and on (I can hear all the hardcore gamers laughing from here). I even quite enjoy playing it. For those of you who don't know, Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build structures in an infinite, 3D world. Basically, it's a discount LEGO set for computer-literate people. Much like legos, if you play it after you turn twelve, people assume that you're mentally incapable of dealing with anything more complex. I hate the idea that you become to old to play a certain video game. Unless something involves physical activity that'd be impossible to perform once you cross a certain age, I don't see why it should be age-restricted. I'm seventeen years old, and if I want to spend a night binge-watching Tom and Jerry and consuming obscene quantities of potato chips, that's my god-given right! I think people tend to assume that Minecraft is a simple game. Once you've built a squattish,

Learning to Learn

There's an interesting concept that's gotten a lot of traction over the past couple of years called "meta learning".  It's a term coined by one Donald B. Maudsley, who defined it as "the process by which learners become aware of and increasingly in control of habits of perception, inquiry, learning, and growth that they have internalized". Translated from Sciencese, Maudsley is talking about how we figure out ways to become more efficient at learning new information. HR managers (you know, those overpaid dimwits you complain to about your coworker stealing your lunch?) like to call it "learnability". Most people with real jobs don't call it anything at all. In reality, though, it's an extremely useful thing to understand, together with the techniques you would use to get good at it. Myself, I'm a decent-ish learner. Mostly, that's because I've had to learn things on my own quite often - I had to teach myself web design,