Skip to main content

The Cookifi Intern Experience

Before we get into the actual blog (I never do get straight into the blog, do I?), I'd like to let you guys know that we've crossed 14,000 pageviews. I actually meant to write this when I hit 10,000 pageviews, but what with one thing and another, I never really got around to it. However, 14,000 pageviews it is, and the three of you who gave me like 13,000 of those views and are now completely under my control, spread this blog like wildfire. More views, MORE VIEWS! BWAAAAHAHAHA!

Ahem, sorry. I go a bit mad with power sometimes. Anyway, onto the juicy stuff.

----- Begin sales pitch -----

For the past month and a bit, I've been interning with a company called Cookifi (you can check them out here. Can I have a raise now?). They're a startup where you can go and, in words plagiarized from the website's home page, "spread happiness from your own kitchen." In other words, you go to their website and pick one of the experiences ("experience" is a set menu). Cookifi will then send a chef to your house who will cook whatever you asked for in your kitchen. You can supply the ingredients yourself or have the chef bring ingredients for you. If you aren't in the mood for a good pasta or some Thai food (I've never not been in the mood, but apparently some people want to get Indian food sometimes. To each their own, I suppose.), you can ask for a chef who will come in every day and make regular rice and dal. Rice and dal, incidentally, is only 199 for up to four people.

----- End sales pitch -----

My job at Cookifi is to help build their website. Basically, that means I sit around and tear my hair out over ten lines of code in the desperate hope that I'll be able to get them to work correctly by the evening. I'm only joking, of course - I generally tear my hair out over five lines of code. Ten generally involves a good deal of smacking my head against the wall as well. 

Honestly, though, I quite enjoy my job. I make their website look pretty and also make sure that everything works and that you don't get an incomprehensible error message every time you push a button. I'm also occasionally called upon to implement a new feature in the website. 

I don't just code, however. We also regularly go out for pizza and ice cream to help us deal with the hair loss from the coding. Overall, I love the job. I even get paid a stipend which is, in the land of fifteen-year-olds, not inconsiderable in size. I'm also learning a lot, both in terms of programming and in terms of what exactly this "work" thing that 90% of adults complain about is. Now, as much as I'd like to come up with some snappy dialogue or deep thought to close this blog with, I'm extremely lazy and bad at ending things, so you'll just have to manage with this one.    

Comments

  1. So you had the time to write a freaking blog post about the reason you keep blowing me off... Smooth ritvik, smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, keep Sharing information like this,
    thanks for Sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exam Fever

As anyone currently in the twelfth will tell you, with varying levels of dismay, the final exams are right around the corner. Parents everywhere are seizing their children's phones and taking time off from work. Panicked screaming ensues at intervals. I don't believe there's a person on the planet who genuinely enjoys exam season. Actually, I take that back - there's no one in India  who enjoys exam season. Partially, I think this is our own fault. Exams are the most important things in an Indian student's life, so parents seem bent on bottling up all the worry and concern they have about their kid's education and allowing it to spew forth in a torrent of "No more video games!" and "Delete WhatsApp!" commands during the two months surrounding the exams. Small wonder, then, that at 17, I believe the purpose of exams is to seasonally blot the sunshine from otherwise happy lives. This whole exam fever thing does have some upsides. Okay,

The Game

I've a bit of a confession to make: I still play Minecraft off and on (I can hear all the hardcore gamers laughing from here). I even quite enjoy playing it. For those of you who don't know, Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build structures in an infinite, 3D world. Basically, it's a discount LEGO set for computer-literate people. Much like legos, if you play it after you turn twelve, people assume that you're mentally incapable of dealing with anything more complex. I hate the idea that you become to old to play a certain video game. Unless something involves physical activity that'd be impossible to perform once you cross a certain age, I don't see why it should be age-restricted. I'm seventeen years old, and if I want to spend a night binge-watching Tom and Jerry and consuming obscene quantities of potato chips, that's my god-given right! I think people tend to assume that Minecraft is a simple game. Once you've built a squattish,

Learning to Learn

There's an interesting concept that's gotten a lot of traction over the past couple of years called "meta learning".  It's a term coined by one Donald B. Maudsley, who defined it as "the process by which learners become aware of and increasingly in control of habits of perception, inquiry, learning, and growth that they have internalized". Translated from Sciencese, Maudsley is talking about how we figure out ways to become more efficient at learning new information. HR managers (you know, those overpaid dimwits you complain to about your coworker stealing your lunch?) like to call it "learnability". Most people with real jobs don't call it anything at all. In reality, though, it's an extremely useful thing to understand, together with the techniques you would use to get good at it. Myself, I'm a decent-ish learner. Mostly, that's because I've had to learn things on my own quite often - I had to teach myself web design,