Skip to main content

Kid's Blogger Networks


A couple of days ago, my mother sent me an email containing numerous kid's blogging websites that she thought I ought to consider joining to "place my blogs before a wider audience". Seeing as how my life-controlling mother sent me the email, I figured I'd better do what she said and take a look at them. Here's what I thought of them.

1. kidbloggernetwork.com: The first thing that I saw when I visited this site were the big circles in bright colours on the top of the page. But hey, I'm the forgiving type. I figured I'd scroll on down and take a look at what exactly this site was about. One of the first posts I saw referred to something called a "Mommy Club". Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against a bunch of moms getting together. My problem is that that would make it seem like the only reason I'm writing this blog is because my parents are pushing me to. I'm not saying that isn't a major factor - on my own, I'm too lazy to even get off my bum for thirty seconds and make myself a sandwich - but it's not the only reason. 


2. http://www.kidspot.com.au/MySpot-Top-50-bloggers-Easy-Peasy-Kids-Top-50-bloggers-2012+6848+416+article.htm: Yes, I know it's a long URL. Thank god it isn't a newspaper article where you'd have to manually go through and type it out. There's honestly nothing wrong with this network in itself, but it features on this list because it appears to deal with parenting and with parents complaining about their kids. I know we kids have plenty of complaint-worthy aspects, but I complain about what we kids suffer. Not really my kind of thing, but hey, it seems like a pretty OK site. Any parents looking for an interesting blog might want to head over there and check it out.

3. multiculturalkidsblog.com: The name's too looooong! No, I'm only joking. The trouble is, this is another website where parents write blogs for other parents to read (Perhaps I ought to call these P2P blogs ;). It features articles about how to celebrate Earth Day with your kids and little craft things that you can do. Great if you're into that kind of thing, but I, personally, am not.

4. I Didn't Really Have a Fourth Blog, I Just Felt Like Setting Expectations: I'm serious, there was no fourth blog. But I actually do have a sincere, heartfelt request to you: Please leave your comments. I know a lot of people have been complaining about needing a Google+ profile to comment, so I'll try to switch over to a different commenting platform. However, I'm afraid that means I'll lose all your old comments, so I don't really know if it's worth it.

All in all, I guess the networks aren't bad per se - I'm just not sure if I want to be associated with them. So, in my infinite wisdom (read: lethargy) I ask you, O Esteemed Reader, to make the choice for me. Tell me what  you think on the poll below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exam Fever

As anyone currently in the twelfth will tell you, with varying levels of dismay, the final exams are right around the corner. Parents everywhere are seizing their children's phones and taking time off from work. Panicked screaming ensues at intervals. I don't believe there's a person on the planet who genuinely enjoys exam season. Actually, I take that back - there's no one in India  who enjoys exam season. Partially, I think this is our own fault. Exams are the most important things in an Indian student's life, so parents seem bent on bottling up all the worry and concern they have about their kid's education and allowing it to spew forth in a torrent of "No more video games!" and "Delete WhatsApp!" commands during the two months surrounding the exams. Small wonder, then, that at 17, I believe the purpose of exams is to seasonally blot the sunshine from otherwise happy lives. This whole exam fever thing does have some upsides. Okay,

The Game

I've a bit of a confession to make: I still play Minecraft off and on (I can hear all the hardcore gamers laughing from here). I even quite enjoy playing it. For those of you who don't know, Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build structures in an infinite, 3D world. Basically, it's a discount LEGO set for computer-literate people. Much like legos, if you play it after you turn twelve, people assume that you're mentally incapable of dealing with anything more complex. I hate the idea that you become to old to play a certain video game. Unless something involves physical activity that'd be impossible to perform once you cross a certain age, I don't see why it should be age-restricted. I'm seventeen years old, and if I want to spend a night binge-watching Tom and Jerry and consuming obscene quantities of potato chips, that's my god-given right! I think people tend to assume that Minecraft is a simple game. Once you've built a squattish,

Learning to Learn

There's an interesting concept that's gotten a lot of traction over the past couple of years called "meta learning".  It's a term coined by one Donald B. Maudsley, who defined it as "the process by which learners become aware of and increasingly in control of habits of perception, inquiry, learning, and growth that they have internalized". Translated from Sciencese, Maudsley is talking about how we figure out ways to become more efficient at learning new information. HR managers (you know, those overpaid dimwits you complain to about your coworker stealing your lunch?) like to call it "learnability". Most people with real jobs don't call it anything at all. In reality, though, it's an extremely useful thing to understand, together with the techniques you would use to get good at it. Myself, I'm a decent-ish learner. Mostly, that's because I've had to learn things on my own quite often - I had to teach myself web design,